According to the BBC, Yorkshire police caught three cars who were using the M1 to find out what their hire cars could do. The three supercars were seized from the drivers who had hired a McLaren 570s, a Lamborghini Aventador and a Ferrari.
In a statement South Yorkshire Police said
Going, Going, GONE !
This seizure proved very expensive for a young male and his friends who had hired out these cars.
Under the police reform act if you are seen driving in an anti-social manner we can seize your vehicle and impound it.
We are pretty sure it won’t be crushed and turned into tin cans but you never know.
Petrol head facts : Mclaren 570s 3.8 ltr. Lamborghini Aventador and a Ferrari.
On a serious note, anti-social driving will not be tolerated and we will deal with you accordingly.
Here is a bit more detail about the manner in which these vehicles were driven, witnessed by several members of the public who thought it necessary to call 999 to report it.
These vehicles were reported, and captured on CCTV, travelling on the M1 south between junctions 38 and 37; they were travelling side by side across all 3 lanes and brought traffic to a very slow speed. When they had created a big enough section of ‘clear road’ they accelerated away, some might say racing one another. They then repeated this process…
Do you think this is acceptable behaviour? We certainly don’t. Yes we put rolling blocks on the motorway to assist with incidents and to keep things safe, we do not do it for the fun of it.
The seized supercars
• The McLaren 570s 3.8l has a top speed of 203.8 mph and can accelerate from 0-62mph in 3.2 seconds.
• If you fancy owning one, prices start from £143,250.
• The Lamborghini Aventador can reach 217.5 mph, getting to 62mph in 2.9 seconds.
• This one is slightly more expensive at £271,146.
• South Yorkshire Police have not identified the model of the Ferrari but prices start at about £150,000.